Senior Counsel, Intellectual Property
This is a unique opportunity to join Brooks Automation as Senior Counsel, Intellectual Property (“Senior IP Counsel”) as we separate into two independent public companies. This position will be with the post-separation Life Sciences business, which will be re-named and re-branded as part of the separation. For more information about the planned separation, click here.
Reporting to the Senior Vice President, General Counsel & Secretary, the Senior IP Counsel will provide legal counsel on all IP issues, including patents, trademarks, trade secrets, copyrights and IP-related agreements. The job is based initially in our Chelmsford, MA headquarters (to be relocated in the same general vicinity) and requires limited domestic and international travel.
Key Responsibilities: Review and negotiate complex customer (OEM and End-User) sales contracts, channel partner contracts and services agreements, while working collaboratively with business leaders across multiple business units
- Advise on various IP matters involving copyrights, patents, trademarks, and trade secrets.
- Evaluate inventions to determine patentability.
- Draft, review, and advise on IP related agreements, such as non-disclosure agreements and license agreements.
- Perform IP due diligence on potential acquisition targets.
- Evaluate freedom to operate issues.
- Manage outside counsel in patent prosecution activities.
- Juris Doctor (JD) degree from an accredited law school, with 5+ years of relevant legal experience, with prior in-house experience preferred.
- Admitted to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
- Educational background or proven experience in biology, chemistry, or chemical engineering, with working knowledge of life sciences preferred.
- Experience prosecuting both biotechnology patent applications and mechanical apparatus patent applications is preferred.
- Approaches IP with a strategic mindset by anticipating future business, competitive and legal risks, and looks for creative solutions and opportunities.
- Exceptional written, oral and presentation skills, with ability to effectively communicate and collaborate with co-workers and management.
- Must be a highly organized, self-motivated, and proactive advisor who functions effectively in a team environment.
Brooks’ (Nasdaq: BRKS) Life Sciences business provides a full suite of reliable cold-chain sample management solutions and genomic services across areas such as drug development, clinical research and advanced cell therapies for the industry's top pharmaceutical, biotech, academic and healthcare institutions globally. Brooks is headquartered in Chelmsford, MA, with operations in North America, Europe and Asia. For more information, visit www.brooks.com.