Technical Sales Specialist
At Azenta, formally Brooks Life Sciences, new ideas, new technologies and new ways of thinking are driving our future. Our customer-focused culture encourages employees to embrace innovation and challenge the status quo with novel thinking and collaborative work relationships.
All we accomplish is grounded in our core values of Customer Focus, Achievement, Accountability, Teamwork, Employee Value and Integrity. At Azenta, we are dedicated to enabling life sciences organizations around the world to bring impactful breakthroughs and therapies to market – faster.
The automated stores product line is a significant part of the Products Business unit. Stores are mostly sold to customers in two markets/ applications:
- Drug Discovery: typically, pharmaceutical companies wanting to store chemical compound samples in volumes from 50µl to 5ml at temperatures from -20°C to room temperature.
- Research Biobanking: typically, academic/research institutes wanting to store biological samples (eg. blood serum) at -80°C or DNA at -20°C.
Typical sample numbers are 200,000 to 5,000,000. The customer’s problem is selecting particular samples and maintaining sample quality through the ‘cold chain’.
Azenta is the leading supplier in both of these markets. The sales cycle for our products is in the range 6 to 24months and typical order values are $1,000,000 to $5,000,000.
Other Azenta business units provide cryogenic storage, informatics, consumables, storage and analytical services to the same and adjacent markets, often combined with the sale of an automated store.
Overall Purpose of the Job:
To provide technical sales support for Stores salespeople, resulting in regular order input.
All aspects of technical sales support, such as:
- Requirements gathering and solution presentation: working with the sales team.
- Engineering: capacity, throughput, facilities, etc
- Software: User interface, computer interface, software demonstration, etc.
- Application: workflow, sample integrity, etc.
- Price: cost & price calculation (typically <15% of the work)
- Supporting new system sales in North America and/or Europe, through to order placement and hand over to the operational team. Typically:
- Working with a salesperson from sales opportunity qualification to purchase order.
- Engaging with the customer to understand the problem to be solved; problems might range from the need to keep samples below -70°C as they are input to the store, to needing to pick 25,000 tubes in one day.
- Working with the BLS team to develop solutions/options (Product Management, Engineering, Software, Project Management, etc.)
- Evaluating solutions from a technical and commercial viewpoint
- Writing proposals and, working with Product Management, to develop standard/reusable documents to streamline this process.
- Presenting solutions/options to customers (this may range from informal discussions to being part of a formal team ‘pitch’ in a tender process).
- Costing and bid preparation, including public tenders
- Assisting the salesperson to develop a winning sales strategy.
- Feedback to Product Management on the market, new product development ideas and directions
- Efficient use of own time and BLS resources to meet sales objectives
- Teamworking with the wider Brooks organization to achieve results:
- Technical people / Project Managers / Product Managers within the Stores and Service team
- Other Brooks Product Lines: Consumables and Instruments, Cryogenic Storage, Service, Services, Informatics…
- Other functions within Brooks: Technical Sales, Marketing, Product Management, Project Management, Engineering, Service, Installation, etc.
- 3rd party collaborators (such as Beckman, Tecan, etc.) and suppliers that are key to the sale (eg.. consumables)
- Typically with the Salesperson, customer communication. This will be at all levels from individual contributor through to CEO and all disciplines from Science to manufacturing through Engineering, Marketing, Finance and Legal.
Skills and Aptitude Profile:
- An enquiring mind with a strong mathematical capability and an ability to understand science and engineering.
- Highly motivated, goal orientated and outgoing.
- Self-starter – able to plan own schedule and priorities
- Demonstrated initiative and self-development
- Excellent communication skills in a range of formats, both written and verbal, from informal discussions to formal sales presentations.
- Confidence to ask searching questions
- Degree qualified in Engineering, Science, Mathematics or related technical subject – specific subject expertise less important than a desire and ability to learn.
- 4+ years Engineering/Science/Project Management experience
- The role is a great opportunity for someone looking for a change in career direction to a commercial role.
- Fluent in English.
- Computer literate – regular office applications; ‘at home’ with Excel.
Other: Sales training will be provided.
Location: Ideally within commuting distance of a Brooks Life Sciences North America office (Chelmsford, Indianapolis or South Plainfield, New Jersey) for easy communication with the Stores Business Unit teams. Alternatively, we would consider an exceptional candidate with relevant industry experience being home office based if living in North America, within easy travelling distance to a major hub airport.