Senior Electrical Engineer
At Azenta, formally Brooks Life Sciences, new ideas, new technologies and new ways of thinking are driving our future. Our customer-focused culture encourages employees to embrace innovation and challenge the status quo with novel thinking and collaborative work relationships.
All we accomplish is grounded in our core values of Customer Focus, Achievement, Accountability, Teamwork, Employee Value and Integrity. At Azenta, we are dedicated to enabling life sciences organizations around the world to bring impactful breakthroughs and therapies to market – faster.
Azenta Life Sciences is a global leader in the life sciences space with headquarters in Chelmsford, MA, and offices and operations worldwide. We are a market leader in automated biosample management solutions and genomic services across areas such as drug development, clinical and advanced cell therapies for the industry's top pharmaceutical, biotech, academic and healthcare institutions globally. We provide unparalleled capabilities with our lab analysis, sample management and storage services, informatics software, and consumables, with the largest installed base managing over 1 billion samples globally.
At Azenta, new ideas, new technologies and new ways of thinking are driving our purpose; to advance science and technology to enable a healthier and more connected world for everyone, everywhere. We believe each employee brings diverse perspectives, unique value and untapped potential that can be developed to mutually enrich the individual and the organization alike.
All we accomplish is grounded in our Core Values of Customer Focus, Achievement, Accountability, Teamwork, Employee Value, and Integrity.
The Senior Electrical Engineer will be responsible for design/development, modification and evaluation of primarily electronic parts, components or controls/integrated circuitry for hardware and/or other systems. May contribute to total system engineering, including other engineering disciplines. May be involved in all phases of design and development from initial concept to manufacturing. Conducts experimental tests on equipment and evaluates results. Develops specifications for selecting components and equipment to use. May also review vendors’ abilities to support development. Depending on level, may function as a project engineer/leader with the resident responsibilities of proposals/project plan, schedules, work assignments, prime contact, technical presentations, cross functional issue resolution, etc. Is expected to keep up to date on technical advances in the discipline and related fields.
Key focus areas:
- Generate electrical design, block diagrams, and schematics for the system.
- Specify and select commercial (“off the shelf”) electronics subsystems, boards, and components (e.g. motion controllers, motors, power supplies, UPS).
- Design and implement cables/wiring harnesses, and simple electrical circuits.
- Prepare robotics/automation to go online including motor parameter selection, tuning, current limits, etc.
- Ensure regulatory compliance (e.g. CE mark, UL, CSA), primary interface with third party agencies (e.g. TUV, Intertek)
- Design and implement test setups for component (e.g. motor, power supply), boards, and subsystem level testing and qualification as appropriate.
- Hands on: Test, troubleshoot, debug, and qualify all electrical subsystems and components.
- Lead the electronics resources in resolving issues as appropriate. Perform failure mode analysis, including support to field service.
- Clearly and concisely document ideas, test results, options, problem issues etc...
- Develop the required documentations during the development and for transfer to manufacturing (schematics, diagrams, BOM, test procedures, …).
- Generate meticulous, detailed, and thorough documentations.
- Advocate electrical needs for projects and negotiating trade-offs across other engineering disciplines.
Candidate qualifications / education/ experience:
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering or equivalent combination of experience and education.
- 6+ year’s experience with computer/PC controlled large equipment with significant automation and motion control.
- Completed a minimum of one product life cycle (from concept to production) as a key contributor.
Relevant additional requirements:
- Experience in using and specifying motion control hardware (e.g. motors (Stepper, Servo, DC, AC…), drivers, controllers (closed and open loop), I/Os, power supplies).
- Familiarity with motion control and automation protocols (e.g. CAN bus).
- Strong troubleshooting skills with PC and embedded software-controlled equipment.
- Good knowledge and expertise with cable and wire layout and management.
- Strong mechanical aptitude.
- CAD software skills (AutoCAD, Solidworks, …) for cables, harness, and the boards mechanical layout.
- Familiarity with Engineering Change Order processes and documentation.
- Experienced with Enterprise PLM solutions such as Oracle Agile PLM for management of BOMs and ECOs.
- Regulatory compliance experience for equipment (e.g. safety, emission, immunity).
- Ability to design simple circuits (e.g. breakout board).
- PCB layout and Schematic capture software skills (e.g. Altium, OrCAD) for performing simple circuit designs and updating complex schematics/designs.
- Experience in troubleshooting low and medium power electronics.
- Familiarity with Python, LabView, internally developed C# based programs, or similar test and measurements automation software a plus.
- Some embedded software development and circuit design experience is a plus.
- Product Engineering and sustaining engineering experience is also a plus.
- Must have a strong work ethic and good written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be able to work independently with minimum supervision or direction.
- Occasional travel to customers’ locations may be required
We are building a high-performance organization with a collaborative team culture and passion for customer focus and are looking for exceptionally talented individuals with an appreciation for life sciences and a customer service mentality to join our organization. If this sounds like you, we’d like to hear from you! We offer an exceptional compensation and benefits package. We currently have an opening which will be located in our Chelmsford, Massachusetts location